Boy Scouts of America provides a program for young people that builds character, trains in responsibilities of participating citizenship, and develops personal fitness. The next few months will be very hectic (and a ton of fun) for your boys as they get to know several Boy Scout troops and attend many activities.
What is Troop 33?
- Our troop was chartered in 1952. We have around 120 registered boys and about 70 are at any given weekly meeting.
- We meet at the Los Altos United Methodist Church, Creekside Center, Tuesday evenings from 7:30 to 9:00pm.
- Troop 33 is all about having fun while following the Aims & Methods of Scouting within a supportive parent community.
- The troop goes on 9-10 campouts a year (one a month during the school year) with 1-2 high adventure trips in the summer (Philmont in 2012 and Northern Tier in 2013).
- We offer 2 weeks of summer camp each summer; one in-council (Oljato) and one out-of-council (Emerald Bay for 2013)
- We have an impressive offering of service projects, activities, and outings and we have an active high adventure program.
- We have over 50 very engaged parents - the willingness to volunteer is one of our key requirements of all new scout parent/guardian. We have also learned that when parents are engaged their sons also tend to go further and get more out of Scouting.
- As a first year member, my main observation about this troop was its non-stop level of engagement and enthusiasm from the boys, the leadership and the parents. Each party seems to motivate the others to move the bar ever higher.
What is the recruitment process?
- We recruit 24 new scouts each year. We have learned over the years that 24 is optimal size for us to run an effective First Year Program.
- We will accept Scouts on a first come first serve basis. Your spot is reserved once we have received all items on the checklist below.
- You may wish to review the forms earlier but our order of application is based on timestamps of completed online forms and email of the scanned paper documents after the application start date.
- Prior to recruiting we stress to the boys and parents the importance of engaging and volunteering after joining Troop 33.
What is the First Year Program?
- We have a great first year program focusing on the Trail to First Class that runs from March-to-March.
- Scouts have the opportunity to be guided and advance through Tenderfoot, Second Class, to First Class ranks.
- We have scoutmasters dedicated to this program along with youth leadership (Troop Guides) to teach and test.
- This multi-layered program offers the chance for new scouts to learn from older scouts who are learning leadership at the same time.
- First year scouts meet separately from the main troop for skills training and testing and also meet with the main troop.
- We have dedicated first year activities and first year scouts join the main troop on most outings and activities.
- October 9th - Stanford District Open House, 7:00pm, 190 Jordan Ave, Los Altos, CA
- October 16th - Troop 33 Open House
- October 22nd - Begin accepting applications (younger siblings of Troop 33 scouts: Oct 8th)
- November 3rd - Troop 33 Outing (Angel Island)
NOTE: While our official open house is on October 16th, we welcome Webelos to sit in on any of our Tuesday meetings. Impromptu visits are also great if you don’t get a chance to meet the troop at any of the other opportunities listed above. If you do plan to attend, please give a heads-up to both Bassam@khan-family.com
- Troop 33 application process is a combination of online forms and paper forms. The latter must be scanned and emailed (to both the email addresses above) in order to complete your application. Also please turn those in physically as soon as possible afterwards. Let us know if you don’t have access to a scanner.
- Acceptance into the troop is on a first-come-first-serve basis, as determined by a completed application. See checklist below.
- Please submit your application only when all the parts are completed. You will be notified within 48 hours whether your application was complete and your son was accepted into Troop 33, or what part(s) still need to be completed. When the application is complete you will also see which spot (1 thru 24) your son is in, and will hopefully get his den/buddies to complete their applications. Beyond the 24 we will begin a waiting list and get back to you within a couple of weeks.
Make sure your son meets the age requirements. He must be 11 years old OR have completed the fifth grade OR earned the Arrow of Light Award and is at least 10 years old. A completed application needs to have every part of this checklist done, other than the asterisks.
* Please submit these items as soon as possible after you receive confirmation that your application is complete
** We like to spend a few minutes with scouts and parents who are considering joining our troop. Meet and Greet can be at any of the events listed above, or at an impromptu Tuesday night meeting.
We are sure you will benefit greatly from scouting, whether you end up joining Troop 33 or any of the other extraordinary troops in our area.